An idea can be defined as: a mental image that reflects reality; a thought or mental picture such as a future or possible event; a plan or a realization of a possible way of doing something; a suggestion or thought to be presented as a suggestion. Ideas could also be personal opinion or belief. I truly believe that ideas actually rules the world and every great invention or business we see around the world today are products of an idea in someone’s mind. They are actually like seeds in the hands of a farmer that has the power to reproduce and multiply which then yields income to the owner. The reality is that a man that does not have money in his bank account is not poor but my definition of a poor man is actually a man without ideas because men with ideas are great people with great potential to solve a problem by creating a product, offer a service, market a product and so on.
Ideas are actually conceived in the mind, most times in unusual places and unusual circumstances and some of the sources of great ideas are;
- Circumstances: many at times, the situation we find ourselves in brings the best out of us and in the process of coming out of it or going through it we actually get ideas or how to help people out of it. I believe that challenges are meat-pie of great men and every great man in life must go through them.
- Thoughts and Imaginations: We must all learn to imagine and think over things instead of complaining. Men that take their time to think always come up with ideas of something to do for the benefit of humanity which in turn generates money for them.
- Exposure: William Shakespeare once said that ignorance is the only darkness we have. We need to get exposed by travelling, visiting executive places, being current about world affairs, attending seminars, and so on. By so doing we generate great ideas on how things are being done in a place and how it can be replicated in another. Education is about real exposure to things we don’t know which could become great ideas to us.
- Reading books and Magazines: Going through some great motivational, inspirational, business, and financial enlightenment books can be one great source of ideas for us to know what to do and possibly how to go about it. Readers are leaders; we must cultivate the habit of reading books and magazines because not being properly informed means being deformed.
- Research and Surfing the Internet: Ideas are generated in the place of researching on a particular problem or issue and by this we can have a solution or a way to make things better. The internet is a great tool that we must all learn to use, Google, yahoo and others can be surfed about a particular issue and possible solutions and with this an idea can pop up on the inside of us.
Arnold H. Glasgow once said an idea without an action can never get any bigger than the brain cell it occupied, so get out there and cultivate your brand. It is time to now put that idea into motion. Andre Malraux also said that “the difference between a successful person and a failure is not that one has better abilities or ideas, but the courage that one has to bet on one’s idea, to take a calculated risk to act“. All I have to say is get an idea and take the risk to start it and if you fail learn from it and move on and am sure you will surely succeed.